Private Music Lessons
- Half-hour, one-on-one music lessons are available to PS 154 students on a variety of instruments including piano, woodwinds, brass, guitar, bass, ukulele, drums, and percussion. (Don't see an instrument you want? Just ask! Our instructors are very talented.)
- We offer packs of 10 weekly 30- or 45-minute lessons.
- The fee is $375 for 30 minutes; $515 for 45 minutes.
- By signing up you are committing your child to the full 10 weeks.
- Extended day students who are enrolled in private music lessons will be pulled from homework help or recess to attend their lessons.
- Students who are only enrolled in a private music lesson for the day must be picked up from school at 2:40 pm and return to after school at their designated lesson time.
- If you would like for your child to receive care before or after the lesson, please sign up for our extended day program or schedule a drop-in on the same day.
- To inquire about private lessons, please email Heather Swain with the day and instrument for your child. (For example, Monday Piano Lesson.) I will look for an available spot in the instructor’s schedules and send you options for your child’s lesson time and teacher’s name.
Why can’t I choose my child’s teacher and time slot for private music?
In order to most efficiently schedule the lessons for our instructors, the after school staff will schedule all lessons then send you a confirmation with your child’s time and teacher’s name. We will take into account extended day homework help and/or enrichment clubs your child may already be registered for when scheduling private music lessons.
Can I request a certain teacher or time slot for private music?
Sure! But it might not be available.
How can I find out which instruments are offered on which days?
Availability is limited, so please email Heather directly for the most updated instructor info.
Do I need to pick up my child from school before his or her session?
Unless your child is already registered for our extended day program on his or her lesson day, you must pick up your child at 2:40pm and return to school for the private music time slot. For example, if your child’s lesson is schedule at 4:00pm you must pick up at 2:40 pm and return from 4:00 – 4:30 pm. Parents or caregivers may stay at school during the lesson.
Can my child stay at the after school when his or her session is over?
You must pick up at the end of the private session unless your child is registered for extended day or scheduled for a drop-in on the day of his or her lesson.
What if I need to cancel a session my child is scheduled to attend?
Please notify Heather (email@example.com) at least 24 hours prior to cancellation so we can reschedule your child’s session. If less than 24 hours notice is given, the instructor will be paid for the lesson that day and will have discretion whether to reschedule with the family or not.
What if I need care for my child before or after her or his session?
Please sign up for extended day or schedule a drop-in on the day of your child’s lesson to receive care continuously from 2:40 – 6:00pm.
Can my child attend an enrichment club and private music on the same day?
Yes! If your child is registered for a session 1 club, s/he will join the extended day program for snack and recess fro 2:40 – 3:00, then attend session 1 club from 3:00 – 4:30, then the private music or tutoring session. You would need to pick up your child at the end of the session.
Who should I contact with additional questions?
Please email Heather with additional questions.