SOCIAL EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE (SEE) COMMITTEE
The SEE Committee was created as a sub-committee of the SLT to support and strengthen the social emotional experiences of our children, teachers, parents and the community at PS 154. Social Emotional Learning is intended to teach children specific social-emotional skills like self-awareness, self-management, empathy, perspective taking and cooperation. In short, these are the lessons of emotional intelligence, which science has consistently shown is a greater determinant of success and happiness than IQ or academic ability.
The research behind the academic success of students immersed in social emotional learning demonstrates the importance of these experiences for our children.
The SEE Committee aims to bring social emotional learning skills to the PS 154 community through various programs including parenting skills workshops and professional development.
WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
Are you a PS 154 parent who would like to get involved? Add your email information here to be added to the SEE Committee listserv.
How to Talk so Kids Will Listen, and Listen so Kids Will Talk - by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish
Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids - by Dr. Laura Markham
Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive - by Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
Emotional Intelligence- Why It Can Matter More Than IQ - by Daniel Goleman
How to Raise Kids with a High EQ - Dr. Laura Markham
A PARENTING SKILLS PRESENTATION
BY PARENT EDUCATOR SHELLY MACDONALD
APRIL 4, 2017, 7-8:30pm
at PS 154 1625 11th Ave between Sherman & Windsor
Thank you for understanding that this event is for adults only.
This interactive parenting solutions presentation is taught by an NYC parent educator/coach, Shelly Macdonald, who bases her teachings on the popular and effective parenting book, “How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk.” The book was written by #1 New York Time Bestselling authors Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, internationally acclaimed experts on communication between parents and children. It is a timeless, beloved book on how to effectively communicate with your child from With over 3 million copies sold, known as the ultimate “parenting bible.”
Open to all adults who care for children:
• PS 154 parents and adults in the family (grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc)
• PS 154 staff: teachers, afterschool, administrative staff and any other employee
• Wider community — parents, friends, teachers from other schools, babysitters, camp counselors, everyone
• Anyone who cares for kids and has ever thought after a difficult exchange, "there has to be a better way"
You'll walk away with:
• Practical tips and fundamental understanding of human behavior (kids and adults) to help improve parenting and connection with children
• 3 transformative skills to practice immediately
• Acknowledging Feelings
• Engaging a Child’s Cooperation
• Effective Alternatives to Punishment
• Strategies to establish clear parenting goals and direction to help you be the parent you want to be
SUGGESTED DONATION $10
Your donation will help support this event and future programs on social emotional learning. We appreciate all donations.