We spoke about some of the efforts to calm traffic on 11th Ave (in front of PS 154) at the last PTA meeting. Here is some more info for you all...
UPCOMING TRAFFIC SAFETY MEETING
WED, NOV 30 @ 6:30PM – MMR
Babysitting by After School staff + Pizza for $5 per child.
Please join us to discuss the latest developments in our traffic calming efforts. Bring your ideas and questions. We can make this happen - let's keep our kids safe!
DOT COMMUNICATION / ACTION
November 4: Meeting at PS 154
A meeting was held at PS 154 with Principal Havlik, Anne Lanier (Parent), Zephreny Parmenter (DOT), Nina Haiman (DOT/ School safety), Susan Charlop (Brad Lander rep), Victoria Guisinger (Jim Brennan rep), Jeremy Laufer (CB7 Dist. Manager)
Eric and Anne presented the issue of speeding in front of our school and we did a site inspection / spoke with our crossing guards. We also gave each attendee a copy of our PS 154 traffic calming petition and which has over 500 families who have signed and are concerned with the speeding in front of our school. At this meeting Eric made an official request for IMMEDIATE attention to the situation. We also made an official request for IMMEDIATE attention from our school community.
We discussed many options for traffic calming on 11th Ave:
DOT informed us that speed cameras are not implemented by the DOT but are legislated at the state level – LOOKING INTO HOW THIS IS DONE / NEED ADVICE
THE FOLLOWING ACTION ITEMS WERE REQUESTED BY PRINCIPAL HAVLIK AT OUR MEETING AND ARE CURRENTLY BEING CONSIDERED/ STUDIED BY THE DOT:
- A stop sign added on 11th Avenue at Sherman
- Louvers added to the Stop light in front of the school (11th Ave @ Windsor)
- Stop light timing on the 11th Ave corridor. (Currently lights time so that if cars speed from Prospect Expressway, they can make the green light in front of our school).
- Establish 11th Ave as a SCHOOL ZONE – reduce speed limit to 20 MPH
- Adding signage once school zone has been established.
- Speed hump on 11th ave in front of school btwn Windsor and Sherman – WE RECEIVED A VERBAL DENIAL FOR THIS HUMP AT THE CB7 MEETING AT PS154. WE HAVE REQUESTED A WRITTEN DENIAL AND REPORT – NOT RECEIVED.
- Speed hump on 11th ave btwn Prospect and Sherman (this location was previously considered and approved/ but was denied at Community Board meeting as only one resident was present and voted against. We have requested a report of this study and have not received).
- Narrowing 11th ave with parking line indicators.
- Narrowing 11th ave by adding a bike lane.
- Narrowing 11th ave by establishing angled parking on one side of the street.
- Principal Havlik and our school community have officially requested copies of past surveys done for speed humps, stop signs and signage on 11th Ave. At this time we have not received any survey or study results.
We continue to be in contact with the DOT regarding the above items and we have established new study reports, but none of the new surveys/ studies are scheduled to be finished before the new year. We have also been told that most of these items (with the exception of the School Zone) could take years to implement once study/ survey is completed and the DOT approve the work. Principal Havlik and our school community (Anne Lanier – Parent) expressed great distress to the DOT and our local politicians with regard to this timing and the immediate safety concerns for of our school. We have received no written explanations.
In late October, the DOT sent out a special vehicle to test speed and video problems. We were told that they clocked over 30 cars speeding and several cars running the red light at Sherman Street – WE HAVE REQUESTED COPY OF REPORT / STILL WAITING FOR COPY OF THIS REPORT.
Brooklyn DOT Commissioner Bray had initially responded to emails from Eric Havlik and Anne Lanier. He also initiated the meeting at the school. He did not attend the meeting and has not responded to emails since.
Jeremy Laufer of CB7 arranged a meeting at PS 154 with local 072 precinct. They were VERY receptive to helping out. They have met with our crossing guards, monitored speeding/ ticketing at pick up and drop off and have approved a hand held stop sign for our crossing guards (in the process of being ordered by the school). Officer McGrath is preparing an official NYPD Highway Intell Report that will include our petition for traffic calming and the CB7 recommendation for action. This report will be delivered to the DOT. They will be recommending a stop sign at 11th Ave and Sherman.
A couple members of Brad Lander’s staff have been contacting the DOT on our behalf (Victoria Sell and Susan Charlop). However, in September, they were “baffled” to hear there is an issue at PS154 and 11th Ave as they have NOT been hearing from parents and members of the community. It is VERY important that our parents and community speak up and contact Mr. Lander’s office to voice their concerns. (718) 499-1090. Several parents have reported phoning the office and are told that they are now hearing from our parents – GOOD WORK PARENTS!
TRANSALT / PETITION
We are also working with Transalt. For our petition (you can find it here), we collected signatures by hand as well as on the transalt website. They will be in touch with the DOT on our behalf with the online petition. There have been some technical issues with the petition that they are working on. If you have tried to sign online and had problems you can try again, sign at the front desk of the school or send your name, address and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transalt is interested in setting up a time to come to the school to do a briefing about speed and safety with our kids. They make it into a sort of math and safety talk. After they go outside with the students and do speed tests with a speed gun and we will video tape and have the students prepare a report which we will also share with the DOT, Brad Lander and post in social media.
SOCIAL MEDIA PLAN OF ACTION
Parent Jorge Mouro is preparing an amazing social media plan of action:
Click here to Follow @PTAofPS154bklyn and retweet whenever you see #GivePS154aBrake
Or click here to tweet the following:
Traffic in front of our school is 2 fast. #GivePS154aBrake @bradlander @NYC_DOT @VisionZeroNYC @cmenchaca @SenatorHamilton @ptaofps154bklyn